Search
Filters
Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:01:17 AM

1949 ford 6 volt v8 starting problem

2 months ago
#3902 Quote
my 1949 ford 2dr v8 is still six volt. It wont turn over on its own anymore, nothing.I jumped it off with a 12 volt battery then disconnected right when it stared , it cranked fine. but still wont do any thing on its own, it has new battery. I ordered new starter and relay and ground wires. all battery wires. I have not put them on yet. shouldn't it do something on it's own? Please help me
2 months ago
#3903 Quote
My first guess would be a bad ground connection somewhere. Clean them all especially on the starter. Next would be your battery cables. If they have been changed at sometime with smaller gauge wire that could be a problem. 6 volts draws a lot of amps and cables should be heavier. After that, maybe the starter is getting old and needs new brushes or a rebuild.
2 months ago
#3904 Quote
ok I will do that I bought new wires from shoebox central I only replaced the wire running to starter on it so far. its been rainy here. I also moved my 84 yr old dad in with me 3 months ago and it slowed my processed down some. im gonna replace all other wires I bought. then move to starter , remove it and clean it up and put it back on. I just figured it should at least click. but I need to do those steps first. I know I was just wondering. if that does not do it ill take starter and have it rebuilt. thanks  
2 months ago
#3906 Quote
you said that it does not even click just for something to try put it in 2nd or 3rd
gear on rock the car back and forth the starter Bendix might be stuck out what'
s to loss
wrs50ford Southern Wisconsin
2 months ago
#3907 Quote
Thanks Wayne its nice to get some help .  I rocked it back and forth , nothing. I feel retarded saying it but I jacked it all the way up and got under it the starter is a little loose , I am a big guy so I couldn't reach under it. Im gonna take it off and clean it up. im working twelve hours a day this week so it'll be rough but I bet that's it. My dad has an lvad pump. you plug him in at night and he runs on batteries when he goes somewhere. so we got our hands full. but he is a lot of help when he remembers stuff he was a parts manager at a ford dealer for 65 yrs. Im gonna really hit it hard this weekend on the car cause I got it so we could ride in it and enjoy it.  
2 months ago
#3908 Quote
I know what that is like I retired in may now every day is a Saturday
hope everything goes well when you get time to work on it good luck
wrs50ford Southern Wisconsin
2 months ago
#3909 Quote
good rule to follow. turn the key and nothing, bad battery connection, check cables. turn key, and click, click, click,  low battery. turn key and one hard click, starter problems
2 months ago
#3922 Quote
Kenneth just reread your post loose starter = bad or no ground at all
I bet if you just tighten the starter up it will be ok. Remember that
positive is ground on these things. let use know when you get it started
and what you found good luck again wrs50ford Southern Wisconsin  
2 months ago
#3923 Quote
        do you have a volt ohm meter
one month ago
#3924 Quote
My starter was a little loose and my wires were limp in places. I took starter off and cleaned and put back on. I installed all new starter and solenoid wires and ground I got from shoebox and new battery...When you push button it just starts running , even in 20 degree mornings. I smile Super big each time...I put my dual exhaust manifolds I got from them on and had duals run out back...God bless America! Times are good.