Search
Filters
Sunday, April 22, 2018 6:54:57 PM

any body towed a 49 ford 2dr with tow dolly?

5 months ago
#3788 Quote
any body tow a 49 2dr with a tow dolly? got like 50 miles to go
5 months ago
#3789 Quote
I bought my '51 two door wrecked where the tow dolley came loose from the tow vehicle and the tow dolly/car hit a pine tree.  The seller let me use the same tow dolly to pull it home.  I had no problems.  Just make sure everything is cinched up tight, including the trailer hitch.
5 months ago
#3790 Quote
thanks man that helps me a lot. ill cinch and check and check often.
it has new tires and
runs. I am planning on checking diff fluid and tranny fluid
5 months ago
#3792 Quote
If your '51 has a automatic transmission, remove the driveshaft from the rear end and secure it.  Automatics do not like to be towed with the drive wheels turning and the engine off.
Manual transmission OK to tow in neutral.
In any case be sure the rolling wheels turn freely before towing--Hand brake disengaged.
4 months ago
#3841 Quote
I know that this is an old post but I just towed a 53 Tudor from Edmonton AB. to Hamilton ON. about 4000 Km or 2400 miles on a tow dolly. My car is a three speed standard so I left the driveshaft connected and checked temps at every fuel stop. We used a 2001 Dodge Dakota 4/4 with the small V8 and we had no issues and even managed 19 mpg across Saskatchewan and Manitoba but closer to 14 mpg in northern Ontario. It is a little hilly up there. :-) I would do it again.
   Matt