Search
Filters
Sunday, April 22, 2018 6:56:34 PM

HELP! I NEED CLOSURE (ON MY DOOR)

4 months ago
#3812 Quote
with the lock devise off , will the door close properly . if not , get some play doe and make round balls and place them between door jam on hinge side , and slowly close to check clearance .
4 months ago
#3813 Quote
new thought. you said that your doing an off the frame job.. I know some times that when the mounting bolts are tighten that it can twick the body slightly and thing don't match back up. so if that is the case you might take the body bolts back out on that side , and completely release the tension , and try the door . even fi is worse you know now that caused it . I would retighten all of them at the same time with a torch wrench starting about 10 lbs. and go up.. just an idea
one month ago
#3927 Quote
Hey All,

Well, I finally have both doors on my 1950 Ford coupe closing so they pretty well match the adjacent body panels.  Thanks again to all of you who sent along your suggestions for solving my problem. I ended up using yet another solution which I'll do my best to explain right now.

Turns out that both of my doors fit pretty well in their respective apertures, and also fit pretty well in terms of curvature of the panels.  But they would never close snugly and easily for me, no doubt due to the fact that I never completely closed the doors after mounting the aftermarket door rubbers, which would have squeezed these seals properly so they could take a less-thick "set".

Here's what I finally did.  I put oversize washers behind the 1-1/2 inch holes located inboard from each door lock assembly, attaching each of these to a pair of old 2-inch cylinder head capscrews, washers and nuts so that the capscrews' threaded ends faced toward the center of my car.  Then I attached two stout chain lengths so that these in turn could ALSO be bolted to one another at the center of my car.  Next, I placed a small screw-handle tire jack on the center of the driveshaft hump sheet metal between my two aftermarket seats.  Working through one of the door window apertures, I placed scrap 2x4 blocks over and under the jack until I could expand the jack easily by cranking its handle.  Then it was just a matter of cranking until I could hear the wood popping and crackling, giving me an idea of how much pressure I was applying evenly to my doors.  Once i had backed the upper half of my body out of the window cavity, I saw I had obtained a pair of doors that closed tightly and evenly against the body, by putting even inward pressure to further collapse the two rubber door seals.  After that, I simply left things in place for a solid week before removing my device to find how nice the car looked.

I know.  Those of you with solid front seats are probably going to have to remove the seat temporarily to make this idea work, or else discover some other solution which you can post here on the Forum so others can use it.  Anyway, I hope these gyrations of mine help some of you, and best of luck!

mr50s
one month ago
#3928 Quote
how about some pictures now
one month ago
#3929 Quote
Its funny how we come up with ideas to make a repair, I had to read your post several times before it became clear. Congratulations for figuring it out.
Greg
one month ago
#3930 Quote
Hey Gary and Greg,

Thanks for responding.  Sorry about the unavailability of pix to illustrate this repair.  I freely confess I know less about picturing and posting on this site than I do about understanding women.  Just ask my wife!

Yes, the principle of my repair method is quite simple.  Anchor one end of two stout lengths of chain to the insides of each door.  Then connect the inner-most chain ends together with a single bolt/nut combo so the lengths are fairly taut when hanging freely.  Now set your small jack and 2x4" scraps on the floor of the driveshaft tunnel so you can use upward jacking pressure to raise the pressure on the chain lengths equally.  This action pulls each chain (and the doors) inward as you raise your jack.  Don't forget to suck your gut inward when you're done, so you don't get yourself stuck in the window cavity when it's time to close up shop. Grease your gut!

mr50s