Search
Filters
Close
Tuesday, November 21, 2017 4:07:25 AM

1950 Ford Mercury Rear Brake Problems

4 months ago
#2550 Quote
The rear brakes on my 1950 merc have won't release. I have tried several things and it seems like I need to replace the old drum break springs. I am having trouble finding the right ones. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
These look like they should work but I'm not entirely sure
https://www.carid.com/raybestos/professional-grade-rear-drum-brake-shoe-return-spring-kit-mpn-h131.html
4 months ago
#2551 Quote
What have you tried or replaced? If the brakes won't release it could be several things,if its just one wheel it may be rusted. If both rear wheels are locking up your brake hose has probably deteriorated inside causing a restriction.
Greg
4 months ago
#2552 Quote
If you have the stock master cylinder its a single bowl so a problem with it would cause the front to lock up also, if you can open a bleeder on either rear wheel and the wheel will then turn the problem is not the springs.
Greg
4 months ago
#2553 Quote
It is just the rear wheels that won't turn. I did a brake bleed but it did not fix it. I then began to think it was the springs because the brake shoes seem to be further out than normal, and the springs seem to have lost most of their elasticity. It is the stock master cylinder  
4 months ago
#2554 Quote
I have not replaced anything else, and I was able to get the rear wheel to be able to spin by adjusting a specific spring on the bottom of the spring. I can't remember exactly what that spring was called, but using a screwdriver I adjusted it so I could move the car.
4 months ago
#2555 Quote
This is a common problem with cars as old as our's, The manual adjuster is what you turned, if you can get the drums off and just clean everything up it may work. The return spring is nothing special, all local auto parts stores have "help" racks with brake parts of different lengths.
Greg
4 months ago
#2556 Quote
Okay, I purchased a rear brake spring kit from a local shop and it ended up having only one or two springs that actually worked, I'll be sure to just get the parts individually this time. If If I clean it up and put in springs and the wheels still won't turn do you have any other suggestions for what to try?
4 months ago
#2557 Quote
You'll have to adjust the brakes with the star wheel, start off with the adjuster out just wide enough so you can get the drum on. Its easier to have a tire on and have a helper moving the tire as you adjust the brakes, you want slight resistance, this is a good starting point.
Greg
4 months ago
#2558 Quote
This is what it should look like.
Greg
4 months ago
#2559 Quote
I copied that picture from the now gone shoebox forum, you do know how to back up and adjust the brakes right.
Greg