Search
Filters
Close
Tuesday, May 23, 2017 5:53:07 AM

Steering wheel restoration

one month ago
#2393 Quote
I'd like to know the best way to restore a cracked steering wheel on my 50 Meteor.  Oh, and am I going to have any trouble removing the wheel like the other post?
one month ago
#2394 Quote
Restoration.  The cheap answer is to get a dremel and hog out the cracks right to the metal and fill them in with a two part epoxy, then sand, use filler and smooth out and paint.  I've been down this road and for a couple of minor cracks it works.  You are dealing with 60+ year old plastic.  I've found that 9 of 10 items the cracks come back, especially the high stress areas where the outside meets the center post.  For big cracks near the hub, forget it.  I've seen guys use bondo and show everyone how nice it looks painted.   Put it on a car you drive and show me how it turned out in a few months.

The proper way to do it, is to have it recast in the color of your choice.  

one month ago
#2395 Quote
I had mine repaired last year, so far it hasn't cracked. If mine cracks again I'll buy a replacement from the forum owner.
Greg
one month ago
#2403 Quote
Eastwood has a repair kit for $49.95, has everything you need.
I used it on my 51 steering wheel. www.eastwood.com
I'm pleased with the results........
one month ago
#2405 Quote
Thanks, I may try the kit.
25 days ago
#2444 Quote
My steering wheel was trashed and when I looked into what it would cost to restore it I was shocked. Then I learned that Chris (forum owner) has them so I ordered one....and am very happy with it.  Correct color, good fit, etc.
19 days ago
#2465 Quote
While we're on this topic, I've been thinking of swapping my stock '51 steering wheel for a white deep dish style from a sixties Falcon.
Assuming the US Falcon wheel is same as the Oz one, does anyone know if it's an easy swap ?
19 days ago
#2467 Quote
On my car a deep dish wheel would be back too far, I have the seat all the way back and the wheel is still fairly close to me.
Greg