Search
Filters
Close
Tuesday, May 23, 2017 5:43:12 AM

vibration damper

2 months ago
#2356 Quote
My 1950 club coupe V8 seems to have no damper on the end of the crank. My green bible mentions one on the six cylinder but fails to mention the V8. Should there be one? Possible that the previous owner left it off during rebuild? I have a vibration starting about 2000 RPMs which I believe is the flywheel but a mechanic said it could be the damper but he also said he was not sure if these engines ever had a damper. Also, what size wheels were standard...15" or 16"? Thanks.
2 months ago
#2357 Quote

See the 1949-50-51 Ford Passenger Car shop manual (Green bible): If your pulley looks like page 44, fig. 42, item PULLEY 6312, you have the correct part. See also page 37 Fig. 17 and Fig. 18 for removal and installation of the crankshaft pulley.

1950 Fords came with 6.00-16 standard and 6.70-15 optional.
2 months ago
#2358 Quote
remove your belt and run see if its the same .. that takes a lot of things out of the picture
2 months ago
#2372 Quote
OK, Gary. I removed the belts and the vibration is still there. I still think it is the flywheel. I have located a new one. My engine does look like the diagram on page 44 so evidently none of the V-8s had a factory vibration damper. Only the 6 cylinders had them? Thanks for the info.
2 months ago
#2373 Quote
is the vibration the same when driving as idling in neutral
2 months ago
#2374 Quote
Yes, it's there when driving or sitting still. At highway speeds it seems to give the whole car a "rumble" sound.
2 months ago
#2375 Quote
I would say your right, its in the fly wheel,,i would also think it would be less when driving, because your adding more connection on when engaged and driving down the road, before you take it complete off check to see if its out on the surface with an indicator , turning the motor over by hand.
2 months ago
#2376 Quote
I would say your right, its in the fly wheel,,i would also think it would be less when driving, because your adding more connection on when engaged and driving down the road, before you take it complete off check to see if its out on the surface with an indicator , turning the motor over by hand.