Search
Filters
Close
Monday, April 24, 2017 4:26:05 AM

1951 steering wheel removal

2 years ago
#57 Quote
so i am trying to remove my steering wheel and feel like I'm missing something.  1951 ford, removed the horn pad, removed the 2 small screws from behind, hooked up the steering wheel puller but its not budging at all.  the car is not a rust case so im pretty sure its not rusted on.  I removed the steering wheel from my old 1950 ford plenty of times, is this process the same?  i feel like there is something else i need to do??
2 years ago
#60 Quote

You didn't mention removing the nut?........  
Bazz
2 years ago
#62 Quote
Sorry about that, yes, the nut is off and I have soaked around it in pb blaster and wd40.
2 years ago
#67 Quote
Have you tried using a hammer on the puller jack shaft? One or 2 smacks might jar it loose.
2 years ago
#68 Quote
If I could add my 2 cents worth. I'd be very careful about beating on the puller on a steering shaft. I have seen a lot of shafts ruined like that. What I do is loosen the nut so that it is exactly even with the end of the steering shaft. Use a puller that is flat on the end that comes in contact with the shaft. This will help keep the steering shaft from "mushrooming" on the end on a hard pull. Sometimes it helps to apply a little heat on the wheel if nothing else works. Just keep the heat away from the "plastic" on the wheel. I've never seen one that will not come off.
29 days ago
#2385 Quote
Larry wrote:
so i am trying to remove my steering wheel and feel like I'm missing something.  1951 ford, removed the horn pad, removed the 2 small screws from behind, hooked up the steering wheel puller but its not budging at all.  the car is not a rust case so im pretty sure its not rusted on.  I removed the steering wheel from my old 1950 ford plenty of times, is this process the same?  i feel like there is something else i need to do??
28 days ago
#2386 Quote
smack it
5 days ago
#2417 Quote
How did you get on Larry ? I'm looking to replace mine with a white deep dish style wheel such as the early Falcons had, so I'm curious in case I have to struggle with it.
4 days ago
#2419 Quote
If you grab the steering wheel and pull up on it you will notice there is some play in the shaft. Not much, just a quarter of an inch or so. Have someone pull up on the wheel and hold it while you hit the nut with a hammer and block of wood. Remember to have the nut flush with the top of the steering shaft. Has always worked for me. Might have to do it a couple of times.