Search
Filters
Close
Wednesday, August 23, 2017 11:56:15 PM

1951 steering wheel removal

2 years ago
#57 Quote
so i am trying to remove my steering wheel and feel like I'm missing something.  1951 ford, removed the horn pad, removed the 2 small screws from behind, hooked up the steering wheel puller but its not budging at all.  the car is not a rust case so im pretty sure its not rusted on.  I removed the steering wheel from my old 1950 ford plenty of times, is this process the same?  i feel like there is something else i need to do??
2 years ago
#60 Quote

You didn't mention removing the nut?........  
Bazz
2 years ago
#62 Quote
Sorry about that, yes, the nut is off and I have soaked around it in pb blaster and wd40.
2 years ago
#67 Quote
Have you tried using a hammer on the puller jack shaft? One or 2 smacks might jar it loose.
2 years ago
#68 Quote
If I could add my 2 cents worth. I'd be very careful about beating on the puller on a steering shaft. I have seen a lot of shafts ruined like that. What I do is loosen the nut so that it is exactly even with the end of the steering shaft. Use a puller that is flat on the end that comes in contact with the shaft. This will help keep the steering shaft from "mushrooming" on the end on a hard pull. Sometimes it helps to apply a little heat on the wheel if nothing else works. Just keep the heat away from the "plastic" on the wheel. I've never seen one that will not come off.
5 months ago
#2385 Quote
Larry wrote:
so i am trying to remove my steering wheel and feel like I'm missing something.  1951 ford, removed the horn pad, removed the 2 small screws from behind, hooked up the steering wheel puller but its not budging at all.  the car is not a rust case so im pretty sure its not rusted on.  I removed the steering wheel from my old 1950 ford plenty of times, is this process the same?  i feel like there is something else i need to do??
5 months ago
#2386 Quote
smack it
4 months ago
#2417 Quote
How did you get on Larry ? I'm looking to replace mine with a white deep dish style wheel such as the early Falcons had, so I'm curious in case I have to struggle with it.
4 months ago
#2419 Quote
If you grab the steering wheel and pull up on it you will notice there is some play in the shaft. Not much, just a quarter of an inch or so. Have someone pull up on the wheel and hold it while you hit the nut with a hammer and block of wood. Remember to have the nut flush with the top of the steering shaft. Has always worked for me. Might have to do it a couple of times.